Back To Home
Bengali Curp Curry
Carp - 500 gm. (cut into large slices)
Cumin paste - 10 gm.
Red chili powder - 5gm.
Asafetida - 1 gm.
Ginger/garlic paste - 8 gm.
Coriander leaves - 6 gm.
Tomatoes (chopped) - 80 gm.
Turmeric powder - 5 gm.
Bay leaf - 2 nos.
Garam-masala (ground) - 5 gm.
Ghee (clarified butter) -12.5 gm.
Salt and sugar to taste
1. Rub fish with salt and turmeric.
2. In a pan, heat oil and lightly fry the fish on a high flame.
3. Remove fish to a flat dish.
4. In a wok, add 3 tablespoons oil and when hot, add cumin seeds and asafetida. Allow to splutter, add bay leaf.
5. Combine turmeric and chili powder and make into paste by adding 1 tspn water. Add this to the wok. Stir on low heat.
6. Add coriander and cumin paste after 2 mins. and continue to stir on low heat.
7. When oil and spices separate, add the ginger/garlic paste and fry for 5-6 minutes.
8. Add chopped tomatoes, cook till soft and add warm water upto 1 1/2 cups ( less if drier curry is desired ). Turn on full heat, add salt and 1/2 teaspoons sugar( or more if desired ).
9. Add fish, bring to a boil . Lower heat after 5 mins and add ghee and garam-masala. Simmer on low flame for 5-7 minutes till oil floats on the gravy.
Macher Tela Jhol (Oily Fish Curry)
River Fish - 1 kg
Turmeric Powder - 1 teaspoon
Onion Seeds - 2 teaspoons
Salt - to taste
Mustard Oil - 100 gms
Tomato - 50 gms
Green Chilli - 20 gms
Red Chilli Powder - 1 tablespoon
Fresh Coriander Leaves - 25 gms
Cut the fish, preferably any river fish, into darnes after descaling and apply salt and turmeric. Set aside for an hour. Deep fry the fish till crisp . Smoke oil and crackle Onion seeds.
Make a paste of turmeric and red chilli in 1/4 cup water and add to the pan. Add chopped tomatos ,cook for 5 minutes. Throw in slit green chillies and salt. Add fish pieces and simmer for 5 minutes . Garnish with fresh coriander leaves.
2 large Eggplants
1 cup Yogurt
1/4 teaspoon turmeric powder
1/2 teaspoon roasted & ground cumin
1/4 teaspoon chilli powder
1/3 teaspoon ground Black pepper
1/2 teaspoons salt
1 teaspoon fresh Garlic paste
Oil for frying Slice the eggplant into rounds..about 1/5th of an inch thick. Make a mixture of turmeric, chile, and half of the salt: rub on either sides of the sliced eggplant. In a frying pan, fry eggplants until both sides are golden brown. Set on a paper to drain. Beat yogurt adding salt, black pepper, garlic, cumin,and two tablespoon of water. Arrange fried eggplant in a dish and pour yogurt mixture over eggplant. Make sure eggplants are covered with yogurt. Keep it in the refrigerator for few hours and then serve.